Having a well-stocked pantry allows you to be creative with your meals. For example, pantry staples, like steel-cut oats, are extremely versatile and nutritious. Plus, you do not have to worry about making a hot breakfast each morning, since you can put this Hearty Oat Porridge in the slow cooker before you head to bed. Then, you can wake up to the smell cinnamon and a slightly sweet pot of comfort food. Perhaps, best of all, this recipe is easy to store in the refrigerator to reheat and enjoy for several days – just add a dollop of Greek yogurt or nut butter to boost the protein, if desired.
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a slow cooker, combine the apple juice, water, almond milk, cinnamon and allspice and whisk.
- Add the steel-cut oats and millet and stir, then cover and set on low.
- Cook the oat porridge for 7 hours.
- When the mixture is thick, remove the lid and stir to mix well, then stir in the berries.
The Briq on 4th Street Apartments in Bentonville, Arkansas